about 1 year ago
The idea for this soup was inspired by Kevin's Mama Doris, who around this time of year has a big pot of what she calls "Soup Bunch" simmering on the stove. It consists of a "bunch" of different seasonal vegetables cooked together with usually a ham bone or hock. I made mine a little different with sweet potatoes, left over little ham pieces, and red chili flakes for a little heat. I Hope to make her proud with this recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 sweet yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Chopped smoked Ham
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Rutabega
- 2 cups Chopped Sweet potatoes
- 2 cups chopped Collard greens
- 6 cups water
- 1 quart Vegetable broth (or whatever stock you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon each (Chopped fresh Thyme, green onions and Rosemary)
- Salt, pepper, red chili flakes to taste
In a large Soup pot, add olive oil and onion and sautee over medium heat.
Once onion has softened, add ham and continue to cook for several minutes until well browned but not burnt. about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sautee a minute more.
Add Rutabega, Sweet potatoes, Collards, water and Stock and bring up to a simmer.
Allow soup to simmer for about 30-45 minutes until all flavors come together, stirring every so often, and rutabega and potatoes are soft.
Add herbs and then Season with salt pepper and as much chili flakes as desired for heat.
Serve immediately, or make a day in advance for best flavor! Enjoy!
- 129 calories
- 3g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 12mg cholesterol
- 1960mg sodium
- 15g carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar)
- 11g protein